Hey All,
Sorry about the delay but I never got to update on last weeks trip. Had a great time and I'm going back for my second trip to HF tomorrow evening. I did learn two big lessions during that trip...#1 a Wading staff is a wonderful thing (would have fallen on my ass a number of times, instead of just once :) ) but you need to have a cord of some type to keep it connected to you (Imagine trying to hold the staff between your legs while you cast and land a fish, can you say "AWKWARD!). The second lession was to use my vest instead of the landyard when wading deep. I had my fly boxes in my pants pocket and one floated away when I wasn't looking.
That being said, I have just a couple hours this evening to tie flies for this trip (contained mainly streamers and a couple poppers). Any suggestions on what flies you would tie if you were limited in what to tie. I plan on tying clouser minnows (one of the few flies I can tie quickly since I've tied more of these than anything else), possibly wooly buggers and Hellgrammites (Rob Snowhite showed me an easy pattern during the last beer tie that I plan to use) but I'm not sure if I should tie any other types. I still have 1 red and white foam popper that worked well last time, a couple Walt poppers in blue, black and black/yellow (large and small) along with a variety of nymphs and dry flies on another box that I have not used but have not had any success nymphing as of yet.
Second question would be using a hellgrammite on a fly, I was told to cast it upstream and allow it to bounce on the bottom. Would this still work well in Harpers ferry due to the speed of the current in the water and would you suggest using a non lead BBs to help weight it down?
Let me know your thoughts,
Aaron
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/HYvEPJfUYXIJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
0 comments:
Post a Comment